Friday, January 9, 2015

Feelings relived

  Shane my 3 year old who has/had heart defects got his tonsils/adenoids out last Friday. Since he has a paralyzed vocal chord also,  his ENT Suggested also injecting his vocal chord with this anti wrinkle type serum. No not botox! :) This surgery would help with his breathing(minor sleep apnea/breathing blockage when sleeps)  and hopefully with his swallowing also. I wont bore you with all the technicalities, but this surgery was needed. 

   Although as a mom you question is this really needed? Does my son really need to be put under anesthesia and as a heart baby this means a ton more than a perfectly healthy baby.  Does he really need these out?You always think of the risks out weighing all the good that come from it.  As a mom who spends many trips traveling down to Primary's children's Hospital I have learned the doctors will not suggest surgery unless its absolutely necessary. I had to trust the doctors, nurses and everyone else with this procedure. 

   This Surgery though its not nearly as serious as Shane's two heart surgery's it brought back memories in every aspect. Having Shane Fast before surgery brought up the memory of trying to make Shane as a baby fast. Getting him registered putting him in his hospital gown. Last but not least the most horrible memory of saying goodbye at the "yellow Line". Where the anesthesiologist and Shane continue going while you have to stop. Saying goodbye to my much older Shane made it even harder its different when they are babies knowing they wont remember this. Shane is starting to get to the age where he will start understanding and remembering these things. My husband and I both cried as we got to the waiting room. This also brought back memories of hours of waiting while Shane was in heart surgery. We pointed out where we sat each surgery and all those emotions come flooding back. I looked around the room hearing some conversations of surgeon updates these children have bone surgery this one having this surgery. Seeing parents crying, pacing because their waits had been long. I just wanted to go hug everyone and say I have been there it will be ok. 


  All went well with Shane's surgery, he had a tough time coming out of anesthesia which he did before many times but, what a trooper he is. It was very different seeing my big 3 year old actually know mom was around and wanted to be held and communicate with us. Very different from just a baby in a bed. Since Shane is not " normal" he stayed the night at Primary's after surgery for observation and to make sure all was well. My husband stayed with Shane at the hospital and I went to my in laws where my little 21 m old was getting watched by grandma and grandpa. I spent the night saw my little Jeremy briefly in the morning kissed him goodbye and headed back to the hospital. 




  We made it home. recovery was full of many sleepless nights and meds around the clock. We made it through like we always do. Now we will just hope and pray all future surgeries go as well. :) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment