seen in previous posts my son was born with several heart defects and still fights CHD with every heart beat he takes. This is something that was unknowingly thrown into my life with a newborn. So this is something I'm passionate about. Here are some facts about CHD....
- Congenital heart defects are America’s and every country’s #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 100 babies is born with a CHD.
- Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths.
- Congenital heart defects are the leading cause of all infant deaths in the United States.
- Each year approximately 40,000 babies are born in the United States with a congenital heart defect. Thousands of them will not reach their first birthday and thousands more die before they reach adulthood.
- Each year over 1,000,000 babies are born worldwide with a congenital heart defect. 100,000 of them will not live to see their first birthday and thousands more die before they reach adulthood.
- More than 50% of all children born with congenital heart defect will require at least one invasive surgery in their lifetime.
- There are more than 40 different types of congenital heart defects. Little is known about the cause of most of them. There is no known prevention or cure for any of them.
- In the United States, twice as many children die from congenital heart defects each year than from all forms of childhood cancer combined, yet funding for pediatric cancer research is five times higher than funding for CHD.
- Congenital heart defects are common and deadly, yet CHD research is grossly under-funded relative to the prevalence of the disease.
- Of every dollar the government spends on medical funding only a fraction of a penny is directed toward congenital heart defect research.
- The NHLBI has stated that Congenital Heart Defects are a serious and underappreciated global health problem.
- In the last decade death rates for congenital heart defects have declined by almost 30% due to advances made through research.
- Via ...http://www.childrensheartfoundation.org/about-chf/fact-sheets
Research Allocations & Impact
Do these facts surprise you? They surprised me too. When I was pregnant I didn't hear or know of anything about CHD yet 1-100 babies are born with them. I had no knowledge that my baby had anything wrong with him till after he was born even after having the normal routine ultasounds. After Shane's birth his cardiologist even looked at the ultra sound videos and couldn't see anything. Some people are never diagnosed because they go undetected. Most however that are diagnosed as said above will have major Open heart surgery to repair it. In Shane's case he will have multiple surgeries throughout his life.
The CHD road not only affects the person itself but the families surrounding them. Its a long hard road and doesn't stop at just heart surgeries. Here is a short version of my sons Shane's Story.
|Shane 8 days old before first Heart Surgery|
|Shane 3 m old After 2nd heart surgery|
|Shane recovering in hospital|
Every time Shane heart beats it is fighting. Our story is just 1-100 born every 15 seconds. Not only do we endure heart surgeries and countless doctors appointments( that are an hours away) but most CHD kids endure, feeding issues, physical therapy, developmental delays, ENT oxygen dependency, and more susceptible to sickness .As is mostly the case in Shane's life. Help spread CHD awareness.
There is a GO RED awareness going around to change your facebook profile picture to help others feel free to choose any of these pictures below. :) Or google CHD Awareness pictures.:)
Lets get the word out about these defects. So Change your Profile picture to Red or a heart. So we can spread Awareness.
|One of many echos done|
|Wearing Red for my Warrior|
Every day Research and medical science is evolving and there are things being done today that were not even known 20 or even 10 years ago. If you would like to donate for research in discovering more about these defects and finding out why... you can donate here. http://www.intermountainhealinghearts.org/donations This organization donates funds for research and helps families suffering with CHD.